The WOW! Reading Challenge 2020-2021 for all School Divisions will run from November 1st, 2020 at 9:00AM to April 1st, 2021 at 4:00PM (Atlantic Time). The website will be locked on April 5th, 2021 at Noon (Atlantic Time). No numbers will be accepted after that date and time.
Divisions, and books/pages read:
The Preschool & Elementary Divisions are based on total number of books read divided by the number of students in the school.
The Middle School/Junior High & High School Divisions are based on the number of pages read divided by the number of students registered.
Note: Pages and books read by adults such as teachers and other persons associated to the school (staff, parents, Home & School, janitorial staff, etc.) count towards the overall school total. For adults in the Elementary category, one book equals one book. For adults in the Jr. High and High School categories, one page equals one page.
Banners will be awarded to 1st Place for each Division:
- Elementary School
- Middle School/Junior High
- High School
Rules for the WOW! Reading Challenge at the Elementary level:
- Any novel, graphic novel or book less than 50 pages = 1 book.
- From a larger novel, graphic novel or book, each 50 pages = 1 book.
- If a book has between 50-100 pages it is counted as two books, if a book is between 100 - 150 pages then it is counted as 3 books, and so on.
- If an older student reads a book to a younger student that counts as only one book read for one student. The same principle applies if a teacher reads a book to an entire class: it counts as only “one book” for the entire class.
- If all of the students in a classroom are reading the same book (a class novel, for instance) and everyone reads the book, when the book is finished it counts as an individual book for each of the participants.
- Books read at home/school/library/outside can all be counted for the classroom tally.
- If a school is calculating time read, 1 hour equals one book.
- Magazines and newspapers can be calculated in time read then translated into books or pages read if a school so wishes. One hour reading a newspaper or magazine equals 1 book read or 50 pages depending on your category.
- If parents or adults join schools, then one adult book equals one book, regardless of number of pages for Elementary schools. (For Middle, Jr. High, and High schools, one page equals one page)